How to Use Your Barcode
If you purchased a retail (EAN) barcode from us, you will receive an email containing:
a. Your unique 13-digit EAN barcode number;
b. Your barcode images (in 5 different formats – jpeg, eps, pdf, tiff & bmp); and
c. A guarantee certificate.
d. Barcode Registration.
After you receive your barcode, you can begin using it immediately – just follow the steps below.
1. Insert the barcode image into the design your product packaging or label
Choose the image format you prefer (jpeg, eps, pdf, tiff or bmp), and insert the barcode image into the design for your product packaging or label, before printing. Resize the barcode image (if necessary). The smallest officially recommended barcode size (for EAN barcodes) is approximately 20mm x 30mm.
2. Print your product packaging or label
Get your product packaging or labels printed.
3. Give your product to your retailers
When you give your product to your retailers, they will enter the barcode number & product details into their inventory system. After that, when your barcode is scanned, your product details will appear on their screen.
Some Tips on Using your Barcode:
- Barcode Size: You can change the barcode size if you like, but keep in mind that the width should be at least 30mm wide – any smaller than that and the barcode may not work with barcode scanners. For more information please see barcode dimensions.
- Barcode Colour: If you want to change the barcode colours please see our Barcode Colours Guide PDF.
- Barcode Art: If you want to personalise your barcode image (adding a design or artwork to it to reflect your product or brand) you might want to see some examples of barcode art for ideas on what you can do.